It is a practical and theoretical Training Course, aimed at helping the participating Masters and Deck Officers to make a more effective contribution to the safe and environmentally-sound oil tanker cargo and ballast handling operations. The Training Course has been designed according to the IMO Model Course 2.06 “Oil Tanker Cargo and Ballast Handling Simulator”. The cargo related calculations and the simulator exercises constitute the most important and extensive part of the course.
On completing the course, the Trainees, will:
- Have acquired a greater awareness of the proper pre-planning, use of the Ship-Shore
Safety Checklist and of the implementation of safe procedures during loading/discharge
of crude oil and petroleum products.
- Be able to take precautions to prevent cargo-generated flammability, electrostatic and
- Be able to prepare, perform and monitor all cargo operations, including inerting and gasfreeing,
tank cleaning operations and crude oil washing.
- Have acquired experience in identifying operational problems and making decisions to solving them.
- Be better familiar with the cargo handling equipment, instrumentation, devices and alarms.
The Training Course will take place at the ATHINA Maritime Learning and Development Center’s K-Sim Liquid Cargo Full-Mission (Class A) and Desk-Top (Class C) Simulators and in the specially designed Loading Instrument – Familiarization Classroom. The Full-Mission Simulator consists of a Centralized Cargo Control Room with all necessary consoles and instrumentation including an Oil Discharge Monitoring and Control System, Overfill Devices, an on-line loading, stress and stability instrument, Inert Gas Panel and a fixed gas detection system. A special compartment simulates the shore loading/discharging terminal station and local deck post stations.